Friday, August 14, 2009

What I Learned from the Netflix Prize Competition

There is one question that seem to come up in almost every competition-related conversation I have had, casual or professional: What did you learn? Actually, “Why did you bother?” is a fairly frequent question, too, but I'll save that for another time.

Oddly enough “what did I learn?” is also the question that I most frequently ask myself, and so far I haven't come up with any sort of gestalt answer. I find this comforting. A pat or encapsulated answer tends to trivialize any endeavor. Of course the more enlightened press seems to want to grab hold of the “big concept” ideas: crowdsourcing, contest-motivated problem solving, new paradigms for business analytics, that sort of thing. While those are important, and certainly make more interesting copy than explanations of why better movie rating predictions are good for Netflix, they don't offer any insight into the more personal explorations that contest participants undoubtedly experienced.

So, for better or worse, I'm going to try to cover some of what I, personally, learned. This will obviously take more than a single blog entry, and I have no doubt that some of my “revelations” will seem simple and obvious (possibly stupid), while others may seem more like heresy. There's not much I can do about that. After all, the only public opinion prediction engine I have available is incapable of doing more than making wild guesses – I refer, of course, to the squishy pattern matcher between my ears.

Next post: Algorithmists vs. Mathematicians

3 comments:


  1. thanks for this post, keep it up for updating us, i am waiting for ur new article.
    IPL 2015 Cricket live score
    mps computers
    Harjinder Singh
    thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your stuff, classic right, Now... everything with digital, perdita di peso thanks for remind me for this memories

    women need need exercise specially more 40 age, because their hormone
    upper body exercises for woman for your body lower lower body exercises for women and abdominal too abdominal muscle exercises for woman this special therapy if you do not have a time to exercises testosterone replacement therapy

    ReplyDelete